Monday, September 15, 2008

Miles 2 year check-up

Miles had his two year well-check today. He started crying as soon as we walked in the door. About the only time he has had to go to the doctor is for well-checks and he always gets shots, hence the fear. I was already planning to speak to the doctor about some sensory issues, but didn't have to explain much because the doctor and two nurses could definitely see what I was talking about. He was terrified to be weighed, measured, and everything else that happened. When I explained the issues (fear of people, strange places, vacuum, hair dryer, ears cleaned, face wiped, bottom wiped, nose wiped, etc) the doctor agreed that we should seek an evaluation. The way he responds and the things he is fearful of seem unreasonable, so it can be hard to deal with. My hope is that we can find a way to help him cope. It breaks my heart to see him so miserable, and this is the way he has been since he was a little baby. The doctor ruled out autism today, so we at least have one thing off the list.

Miles is tall and thin. He was in the 97th percentile for height, and the 21st for weight. The doctor wasn't concerned about him being thin since he is built just like his daddy. He will remain on reflux medication until...we have no idea how long he will be on medication, but it works, so we are happy about that! He got a flu shot today. I generally take the kids to a free flu-shot clinic in Orlando each year, and this year will be especially important since we will have a new baby in February, but Miles has such a hard time with crowds, and then getting a shot would send him over the edge, so I will leave him with someone and take the other kids when I find out about the clinic.

Please pray for Miles. Please pray for Roger and I, as well. We need wisdom. Miles is much better than he used to be. He used to cry at least 85% of the day until we took him off of milk, and put him back on his reflux medication. I had not heard him giggle until he was 18 months old. That was when we took him off of milk and put him back on his medication. It is so hard to see him get so fearful and overwhelmed. I love him so much, and I just want to help him feel better.

No comments: