Saturday, November 1, 2008

A weeks worth of updates

So, what has happened the last week in the Shealy house? Hmmmm...let me think.

Roger has been really busy with the campaign...sign waving, walking precincts, a lot of meetings, two radio appearances (Bill Mick Live), and hundreds of mail outs, which we label and stamp ourselves.

Church was Wednesday, and we had been so busy that I hadn't even worked on AWANA verses with the kids. We were also getting behind on our school work, too. I am thankful for the flexibility of homeschool...we'll get caught up next week, which is fine because I knew we couldn't do a whole week of school next week with my sister coming in town Monday, the election Tuesday, and then my sister leaving Wednesday.

Miles had his evaluation at the Children's Center Thursday morning. They discovered that, developmentally, he is very smart! But, he certainly has some sensory issues, so we will begin Occupational Therapy soon. He will have therapy once a week, in our home, for 30 minutes. I look forward to beginning! They also encouraged me to take him back to the GI doctor and find out why he still has reflux, and ask for allergy testing at the same time. They really believe his digestion problems have something to do with his sensory issues.

After Miles and I got home I decided to pack up all of the kids, go get some lunch to-go and head to the government building where they were having early voting, so I could support my husband by holding a sign. The kids had a lot of fun running around and eating. Miles sat in the stroller and was really happy and content until a train came by and he got really scared. We were there almost 2 hours when their grandma came to pick them up and take them to her house. I stayed another four hours, and Roger joined me, so we really enjoyed sign waving together. I must say that standing for almost 6 hours was more than my body could handle. I felt sick and exhausted that night, and even a little crampy. Not good! I stayed off my feet after giving the kids baths, and then helped Roger with more mailings. I really haven't felt well since then, and I know my body is in need of more rest. I need to make sure I protect this baby no matter how much I want to help with everything else!

Franklin had a check-up and x-ray on his foot Friday. His foot is healing nicely, so two more weeks in the boot and he should be as good as new! And, he doesn't have to sleep in the boot, so he is happy about that.

A week ago Thursday as Roger and I were on our way to a campaign fundraiser his Explorer overheated, and we had to pull off the road quickly. Thankfully, our friend, Bruce, was following, so we grabbed everything we needed out of Roger's car, hopped in Bruce's car and off to the event we went. Roger got his car fixed the next day. Yesterday Franklin and I got in the van after our babysitter came, so we could go to Franklin's appointment and the van would not start. I felt so bad, but I had to run inside and ask our babysitter if we could drive her car. The van got partly fixed yesterday, and is at least drivable at this point.

Friday night we had our Fall Festival at church. It was so much fun! The kids loved everything, and Miles was really good. Lauren was Miriam, Moses' sister, Franklin was an older Moses with the 10 Commandments, Ari was Daniel, and Miles was supposed to be a lion, but he couldn't handle wearing the costume, so he just ended up being Miles with cute little whiskers on his cheeks. He didn't like the whiskers either!

Today Roger has spent the entire day (7-6:30) holding a sign at the government center again. The kids and I met up with him before lunch, ran to get some lunch and back to have a little picnic again, home for naps, set up a tent to play with in the back yard, and then back with a pizza for another picnic at dinner. After dinner we thought we would have a little bit of fun with the Obama supporters, so we had the kids saying, "NOBAMA, NOBAMA!" We thought it was all in good fun, but a few of the women didn't take it that way and got really mad at us. They began arguing with me, which I wasn't willing to take too far. Roger stepped in and told them that it needed to end, and we left about 15 minutes later while their blood still boiled. Wow! Were they ever mad at us!?

I don't think this has ever happened in our entire marriage, but we are staying home from church tomorrow. Not because we are sick, or the kids are sick, but because we know we need to keep our priorities straight. Our family must come before church... not before God, but before church. We need time to hang out and play and talk and sing and enjoy our family. I need a chance to rest, too, and I think Roger does, too. Sundays are not very relaxing for us because of getting everyone ready in the morning, Roger teaches Sunday School, Roger and I teach children's church, we come home, I fix a quick lunch, get the little guys in bed for a nap, and then get a quick dinner for the kids before we head out the door at about 5:40 to go back to church. I think tomorrow will be a great family day!

Time change tomorrow, or tonight...however you want to look at it! The kids are still up and it is almost 8:30. They are usually in bed by 8:00, but I want to get them acclimated to the time change. If I didn't still have laundry and dishes to do I think I would go to bed now, too!!!

Pictures to come tomorrow!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, You guy are very busy! Thanks for taking time to blog. Have a great time with the kids:)