Thursday, December 18, 2008

An update on Miles

I took Miles to a Pediatric Gastroenterologist this morning. We left at 7:30 this morning and got there at 8:35. They wanted us there early to make sure all of the paperwork was filled out correctly, but his appointment was at 9:00. We didn't get out until about 11:00. Whew! That was a long time, although the entire staff was very kind and compassionate. They seemed to understand how to deal with a child with sensory issues, so they were very patient with every little thing they needed to do, and Miles did wonderful! I took some new, little toys, so that helped take his mind off of the stress of being in a new doctor's office.

Miles had surgery when he was 5 weeks old for Pyloric Stenosis. This condition occurs when the muscle that contracts causing your food to go from your stomach into your intestine becomes enlarged, and therefore, no food can pass through your body, so everything is vomited back up. We were told that the surgery should cure his reflux, too, but the doctor told us today that Pyloric Stenosis and reflux are two different things, so the surgery shouldn't be expected to cure the problem with reflux. A lot of infants have reflux and it doesn't seem to affect them. For the first six months Miles had breathing problems and sleep apnea and both were associated with reflux. He turned two in September, we cut his dose of Zantac in half, but he began immediately waking in the night and during naps, so we knew we had to increase his dosage to the normal amount. This was his first time to see a Ped. Gastro doctor, and I wish we had done it sooner.

Miles will be admitted to the Children's Hospital December 29th for an upper endoscopy where they will take a scope and look at his esophagus and stomach, taking small biopsies to see what is happening on the inside. While he is asleep they will insert a tube through his nose, and down his throat and then halfway into his esophagus that will monitor the acid in his esophagus. This tube will need to remain in place for 24 hours, so we will be spending the night. As much as I want to know if something more is wrong with Miles, so we can help kills me to think of what he will go through in those few days. He already has sensory issues, so this will be a BIG deal to him and very difficult for him to handle. It's kind of difficult for his very-pregnant mommy to handle, too! It breaks my heart. I know it could be much worse, and I am grateful that it appears his medication has probably protected him pretty well. Please pray for Miles!


Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

I will be praying for sure!! (Please post a reminder the day before so I don't forget!!)
Hayden was in the hospital overnight just before Thanksgiving... and I thought then how hard it must be on other moms (The worst he had to endure was a nasal canula and I thought that was difficult!)

Anonymous said...

He'll probably do better than you think with this. I hope so, anyway. These are really great tests that they are wanting to will get good answers so he can be treated correctly. We'll be praying that it all goes really well!


Pegsy said...

Oh Kerry, I just want to give you a big hug right now! I will definitely be praying. I know this is not something you want to be "looking forward to" over the Christmas holidays (or anytime, but you know what I mean...). May God's peace rest in your heart in the coming days. Love you, my friend!