Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What do your children think about you?

Do you ever wish you could have someone interview your children, asking their thoughts on you, and secretly video tape them? Something like this was done a while back.  Mothers were asked "What kind of mother are you?," and they were in tears, mostly focusing on their failures.  When the children were asked about their mothers, not a single failure was mentioned.  Of course, this brought the mothers to tears to see that they weren't actually failing their children.

The last two weeks have been tough for me, as a mother.  Based on the numerous comments I have received from friends, either on facebook, or in-person, about my "bad day post," it is apparent that the first few weeks of school can bring out the worst in mom's and children, alike!  And, maybe it isn't just the first two weeks of school, but the struggle we have, at times, as parents.  That stinkin' lack of patience!!!  It brings out selfishness in us every.single.time!

My little three year old says some really cute things!  Yesterday she said, "Mommy, I need to work on my letters, so I will know the sounds of the applebet."  Sometimes, it's just too cute to correct!  When I put her in bed each night we go back and forth about how many songs we will sing.  She always puts the pressure on for "just one more, Mommy!  Pretty please, with a cherry on top!"  It's a rare occasion that I say no.

Each of my children have their own song that my husband and I made up for them before each were born. Last night she wanted to sing Franklin's song, and then Ari's song.  I told her she had one more choice before going to sleep.  She said, "I want to sing the KERRY song!"  I told her that I didn't have a song.  She disagreed and began singing in her high-pitched, sweet, wobbly little voice.  It began like this:

Kerry is niiiiiiiiice.
Kerry is going to sleeeeeeep.
She loves to pray for people.

Wait a second.  What?!  Wow!  I just got a glimpse into how my littlest daughter views me, her mother.  I'm not failing her!!!!  Maybe in moments, but in the BIG PICTURE...I'm not!  The fact that she views me as a woman who loves to pray for others is completely astounding to me.  I think I will have her sing to me again tonight!

Do you see, Mommy?  The bad moments are bad, but most children don't focus on the bad moments.  They focus on the love you have for them, and the life you live before them!  Go back and read that last sentence again and again and again! Sometimes they imitate our bad behaviors (those moments of that stinkin' lack of patience!), but they are, without a doubt, watching our daily lives.  If Bethany sees me as a woman who "loves to pray for people," then perhaps she will grow up to be the same!  The thought of that blesses me beyond measure!

I'm not saying that you should never focus on your failures because that is part of God changing you into the woman He wants you to be!  We always want to be better...more like Christ...right?  Don't let your perceived failures drown out the "good mom moments" you have with your children.  Let your life exude the love of Christ before your children.  They are watching...the good and the bad.  They are also learning from you...the good and the bad.

Proverbs 31:26-31
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.  She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.  Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.  Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.

No comments: