Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Bring your children to tears...in a good way

If you didn't read my post from yesterday you should stop reading now, and go back.  It was a bad day.  It really wasn't good for anyone in our house.  It stretched me.  I was overwhelmed.  I was frustrated.  I was impatient.  I was not myself.

I knew I was wrong about how I handled the day.  Along with groaning and complaining from my children, there was a lot of that going on in me, too.

As we sat at dinner last night, my oldest two were trying to get the others quiet because "mom has had a bad day."  Franklin prayed before dinner last night and said, "Thank you, God, for a good day."  Lauren and I both laughed, Franklin looked up and smiled, bowed his head again, and said, "Well, it wasn't such a good day.  Maybe you could make tomorrow better?"  We laughed again.

This was the most important part of our day.  It was pivotal.  It may be pivotal in my children's lives.  It was time to "make things right."  I knew my attitude was wrong throughout the day.  It was time to talk.  Through tears, I told my children that I was sorry for my behavior, my attitude, and my lack of patience.  I asked for their forgiveness.  One by one, they each came to me with tears streaming down their faces and hugged me, and said, "I forgive you, Mom.  I love you."

Dear Mom,
Do not let pride keep you from asking forgiveness from your children.  Do not let pride keep you from admitting when you are wrong.  You set such a wonderful example of a godly life, and your children learn so much from that example.  You soften their hearts when you admit your mistakes.  Your children know you are not perfect.  You don't need to pretend.  But, when you mess up...make it right!  It is the perfect opportunity to train their hearts.  They are watching you!!!  God is using you!  Bring tears to their eyes!

May your day be filled with love, grace, forgiveness, truth, giggles, hugs, cuddles, and fun!

No comments: